Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Chicago GSB interview

This has to be a great feeling.....getting the interview invite from the school that was ranked No.1 in 2006. At least my work impressed someone....good to know.
But now the pressure....now you have a realistic chance and do not want to blow it off......So, I dig up every resource that is related to Chicago GSB ( not that I haven't before but even more so now) and note down every piece of data that I think is pertinent.
Now, I always be live in preparing for the worst interview...so that you have the bases covered...
For excellent interview tips just go to Clear Admit Wiki for experiences from real people and also visit gmatclub.com to get some expert advice on questions to prepare for.

Now on to my own experience. I was assigned a Alum who was based in the twin cities (about a 70 mile ride from where I am) and she contacted me directly to setup the appointment.
WE planned to meet at a Coffee shop in the central part of the city. As a first step toward success, I actually found the place without any issues and we actually met.
She explained her background and asked me to just walk her through my resume.
The interview was not pre-structured as was the case with Kellogg (very usual when you compare interviews by AdCom vs Alum) and she just interjected me with questions. then proceed along the usual route of why chicago and why now and rounded off with a conversation about the different programs that Chicago had to offer and I should say that she really loved the school.
No curve balls whatsoever and I made it a point to convey whatever I wanted to and now just wait in line for the decision.
My tips to those waiting to interview:
If you are interviewing with AdCom ( or on campus), browse extensively for sample questions and prepare answers. It does not hurt to script your answers and read out loud. In that way, you can be sure of what you will be blurting out.
The interview is just about ONE thing: You need to know inside out about yourself and need to clearly communicate that to someone. and that comes with practice...after all you are doing yourself a favor by getting in to a top school...so go all out and prepare hard and the results will come...
Good luck ya all...........

No comments: